TRAVEL || EUROPE > British Isles > UNITED KINGDOM > ENGLAND > Manchester
Industry and Tree Heritage
Our 4-hour ride on Virgin Trains took us to the city of Manchester, situated in the northwest of England. A city known for industry and green spaces preserving heritage trees, we enjoyed its two Premier Team stadiums: Man City’s Etihad, which we toured, and Man United’s Old Trafford.
- Language: English
- Currency: Pound sterling £
- When to go: Summer is ideal from June to August when the weather is warm, though rain is always possible;
Fall is cooler from September-December but a pleasant time to enjoy football (soccer) and Christmas markets;
Spring begins to warm from March to May after typically cold, wet winters
- Airport: Manchester Airport at Ringway
- Train Station: Manchester Picadilly
- Transportation: Manchester Metrolink over-ground tram system makes the city very accessible
- Neighborhoods: 10 boroughs of Greater Manchester
The tram system runs throughout much of the city of Manchester. For our day visit, we purchased 1-day anytime travelcards for zones 1 and 2 (located at any station). The cost for adults is £4.30 and £2.10 for children.