These hearty banana-oat muffins go perfectly with my first sip of a morning coffee… or cappuccino. (Read about Coffee in Italy to understand the great pleasure created by Italian coffee.)
I’m a fan of using basic, whole ingredients, processed as little as possible. This allows me to better know what I’m eating. My general motto: keep it simple; keep it fresh.
While spending a LOT of time at home these days, I find ways to use my over-ripe bananas. Once they are no longer tinted with green, which I prefer to eat, they are soft and ready to make muffins. These can also be made vegan by substituting the eggs with ground flax “eggs” and using vegan sour cream.
For some reason, my body doesn’t process most US wheat well. Many people are sensitive or even intolerant to gluten. But for some reason, American wheat definitely affects me differently than the wheat I’ve had in Europe, which doesn’t bother me. So, I recently sought out a healthier option. This gluten-free version, adapted from Gluten-free on a shoestring, is made with whole oats, not wheat flour.
Gluten-free Banana Oat Muffins
These banana muffins contain no wheat.
- 2-3 bananas
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or labneh (or crème fraiche or sour cream)
- 2 eggs (for vegan eggs: mix 2 T ground flax with 2 T water, let sit 10 mins)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) coconut palm sugar (or maple syrup)
- 2 1/4 cups (225 g) certified gluten free old fashioned rolled oats (if you need to be GF)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven at 350ºF (175ºC). Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor for a smooth version. Or for heartier muffins, mash the bananas, beat the eggs, and mix together with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide batter between 12 lined muffins cups. Bake 15-18 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes to easily remove the liners.
Tip: Make them vegan—substitute the eggs with ground flax “eggs” and use vegan sour cream.
*Note: AMG Inspired is reader-supported. When you click and buy through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Please help support content for this site. Contact AMG Inspired for direct contributions.
Subscribe to My Journal!
Do you have a favorite travel story or memory you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a reply with your helpful thoughts or questions. Together we can inspire creativity and quality.