This granola makes a great snack on its own. Or make a parfait by adding the granola to the Lemon Yogurt with Berry Swirl, recipes below. It is also a crunchy companion to Chia Pudding.
- 4 cups oats (NOT quick-cook or instant)
- 3/4 cups whole almonds, shelled, but skin still on
- 3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or neutral cooking oil)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries and/or raisins
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup dried banana slices
- 6 medjool dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups mixed berries (any combination strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) frozen
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
For the granola:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix oats, almonds, flax seeds, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a saucepan warm the oil and honey.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the honey, oil, vanilla mixture over the oat mixture and mix gently, but well.
- Mix with spatula and eventually your hands.
- Spread out onto a sheet pan and bake for 35-40 minutes (stir after the first 20).
- Cool and break up any clumps. Mix in dried fruit.
Yield: about 9 cups
For the berry swirl:
- Add berries, lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the berries break down and mixture becomes syrupy, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
For the lemon yogurt:
- Combine the yogurt, zest and juice in a mixing bowl and stir.
Note: For parfait, layer with granola, yogurt and berries in mason jars, glasses or bowls. Be sure to try this granola on top of some Coconut Chia Pudding.